Catechism Links[1]
CCC 604-609: Jesus the Lamb of
God who takes away sins of all
CCC 689-690: Mission of Son and
Holy Spirit
![]() |
| “Madonna and Child with the Lamb of God” by Cesare da Sesto, c. 1515 |
Reading 1: Isaiah 49:3, 5-6
The Lord said to me: You are my servant,
Israel, through whom I show my glory.
Now the Lord has spoken
who formed me as his servant from the womb,
that Jacob may be brought back to him
and Israel
gathered to him;
and I am made glorious in the sight of the Lord,
and my God is now my strength!
It is too little, the Lord says, for you to be my servant,
to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and restore the survivors of Israel ;
I will make you a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Is 49:3, 5-6
The Prophet Isaiah proclaims his
mission to call the people of Israel, the “House of Jacob,” back to God, as the
second “[Suffering] Servant Song” begins. The people are disillusioned
following their return from exile in Babylon. He calls first to the dispersed
people of Israel, as the Lord’s plan unfolds in him. He announces that all the
world will be called to worship God. (“I will make you a light to the
nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 40:2, 4, 7-8, 8-9, 10
R. (8a and 9a) Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
I have waited, waited
for the Lord,
and he stooped toward
me and heard my cry.
And he put a new song
into my mouth,
a hymn to our God.
R. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
Sacrifice or offering
you wished not,
but ears open to
obedience you gave me.
Holocausts or
sin-offerings you sought not;
then said I, “Behold
I come.”
R. Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will.
“In the written
scroll it is prescribed for me,
to do your will, O my
God, is my delight,
and your law is
within my heart!”
R. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
I announced your
justice in the vast assembly;
I did not restrain my
lips, as you, O Lord, know.
R. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Ps 40:2, 4, 7-8, 8-9, 10
Psalm 40 is a song of
thanksgiving combined with a lament. The initial waiting of the psalmist is
satisfied by favor shown by God to one who is faithful in service to him. These
strophes sing the thanksgiving of those who hear the voice of God and obey his
words. This obedience is loved by God above ritual sacrifices. The Lord
especially loves those who follow his law. Once heard, the good news is
proclaimed to all the people.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading II:
1 Corinthians 1:1-3
Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
and Sosthenes our brother,
to the church of God that is in Corinth ,
to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be
holy,
with all those everywhere who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus
Christ, their Lord and ours. Grace to you and peace from God our Father
and the Lord Jesus Christ.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
1 Cor 1:1-3
In this introduction to his first
letter to the Corinthians, St. Paul establishes the theme of his letter. He
first reminds the faith community at Corinth that he is called by God to
proclaim the Kingdom of God announced by Jesus, not by his own volition or for
his own purpose. He then reminds them that in their conversion they were
sanctified, set apart for God.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gospel:
John 1:29-34
John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said,
“Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.
He is the one of whom I said,
‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me
because he existed before me.’
I did not know him,
but the reason why I came baptizing with water
was that he might be made known to Israel .”
John testified further, saying,
“I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from heaven
and remain upon him.
I did not know him,
but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me,
‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain,
he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Jn 1:29-34
St. John the Baptist professes
the identity of Jesus as the Messiah, “the Lamb of God, who takes away the
sin of the world.” The author’s theological understanding of the eternal
nature of Christ is expressed in the Baptist’s words: “A man is coming after
me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me."
After stating the connection
between Jesus Christ's and the Baptist’s mission, the author follows the
tradition of the synoptic Gospels as he describes Jesus emerging from his
baptism in the Jordan and the descent of the Holy Spirit. St. John concludes
this testimony by St. John the Baptist with a solid affirmation that Jesus is
the Son of God.
John’s great epiphany guides the
Church's Christology: Jesus followed John the Baptist, being born after he was
but ranking high above him. John the Baptist came baptizing with water;
Jesus baptizes in the Holy Spirit. St. John recounts how, when Jesus came to
the repentant bath in the Jordan, the dove descended and God the Father claimed
him.
CCC: Jn 1:29 408, 523, 536, 608,
1137, 1505; Jn 1:31-34 486; Jn 1:31 438; Jn
1:32-34 713; Jn
1:32-33 536; Jn
1:33-36 719; Jn
1:33-34 1286
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection:
While,
from a scriptural perspective, it seems that we dwell on the Baptism of the
Lord, we are now celebrating the fullness of Christ’s revelation to us. As we enter Ordinary Time in this different
setting and accompanied by other parts of sacred scripture the Gospel brings
new emphasis.
Here
comes Jesus of Nazareth to be baptized.
He comes without fanfare, unaccompanied.
We have not heard anything about him since he was a youth, brought to
the Temple in
accordance with Jewish Law. What passed
in the interim is not recorded in sacred literature. His miraculous birth certainly prepared us for
what was to follow. But once his father,
Joseph, was warned about the plot by Herod and the Holy Family fled to Egypt,
not much was heard until this moment.
Jesus
comes to the Jordan with humility, and must hear that statement by John with
dread. “Lamb of God,” those words would have had significance to Jesus (and
early Jewish readers of the Gospel). The
lamb was the traditional sacrificial animal, killed and offered to God in
atonement for sins. Not just any lamb
was used. It had to be an unblemished
male lamb, and further, none of its bones could be broken in the sacrificial
process. (“So the soldiers came and broke
the legs of the first and then of the other one who was crucified with Jesus.
But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not
break his legs.” John 19:32-33)
“…who takes away the sin of the world:”
The Baptist understands what Isaiah was saying when he said: “I will make you a light to the nations, that
my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.” This would be no ordinary “sin offering,” the
Lord would expiate all the sin that arose from mankind’s fallen state, for all
time. (“A man is coming after me who
ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’”)
In
this one short phrase the hope of all of us who believe in Jesus as Lord and
Savior comes to all the descendants of Adam and Eve. And in that hope we are saved, because the
hope we have in the promise of the Lamb of God is also our faith, and our faith
drives our actions, and our actions revitalize our faith. It is all interconnected and summarized in
that one statement.
Today
we give thanks and praise to God for the gift of the Lamb who takes away our
sins and the sins of the whole world. We
thank him especially for the prophets like Isaiah and St. John the Baptist who pointed to the
coming of God’s great promise. In our
faith we rejoice in that promise fulfilled.
Pax
[1]
Catechism links are taken from the Homiletic
Directory, Published by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the
Discipline of the Sacraments, 29 June 2014
[2]
The picture used today is “Madonna and Child with the Lamb of God” by Cesare da
Sesto, c. 1515
[4]
The readings are taken from the New American Bible with the exception of the
Psalm and its response which were developed by the International Committee for
English in Liturgy (ICEL). This
re-publication is not authorized by USCCB and is for private use only.

No comments:
Post a Comment